Do Not Be Unequally Yoked

I was bothered. I really don't know what to do. I felt the urge to decide. I know that the Holy Spirit is telling me something, and my response should be done urgently. I was puzzled and apprehensive. I want to reason out, but I know I won't win, (never will I win, rather). So I prayed...

And His response was:

“Do not be yoked with unbelievers” 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1

It is a well-known principle among Christian teens and is common to all believers. But I have almost forgotten about it. I pretended to be innocent about the truth it says and God revealed three reasons why should I put to an end a relationship that I keep on insisting.

Believers and unbelievers do not have something in common (vs.14-16)

I am a temple of the living God and He lives in me. If I keep on associating with someone who is walking in darkness, nothing good will happen. Just like clear water mixed with water full of dirt, so as with a believer and an unbeliever having a mutual relationship. It is obvious: Bad company corrupts good character. (Jesus took away our sins and made us new creations, made alike in His glory. So it is just proper to keep ourselves from the world’s wickedness). Not having a mutual association with an unbeliever is not an act of arrogance; it is an act of obedience to the One who took away our sins and Who gave us a promise of eternal life.

God has something in store for us (vs.17-18)

God says, “touch no unclean thing and I will receive you”. God does not delight in the wickedness of men, so it’s detestable to Him if I come into His presence with unclean hands and hearts. Also, He gave me a promise, “that He will be my Father, and I will be His son”. If our biological father delights in giving us our needs and wants, how much more our Heavenly daddy, who owns everything? (In fact, He even gave His precious Son to show his undying love for us). So, He assured me that I should only ask for “His will” and wait for her. And when the day comes when “His will” and I meet, my JOY would be complete.

As an act of reverence to God (vs.7:1)

When we associate with unbelievers, we often forget that we are Christians, and eventually we sin. How much more if the relationship with an unbeliever is mutual? God commands that we should purify ourselves from anything that contaminates body and spirit. Indulging yourself in ungodly acts with an unbelieving partner brings contamination in the body (in form of sickness such as STDs) and in the spirit (in the form of sin). God just wants to spare me from these things so He wants me to stop arguing with Him and start obeying Him.


I have already made a decision; to act for my decision should follow. If making a decision is too hard, acting in accordance with such a decision would be doubly hard. But I know God, who helps me ever since — will give me the courage to do what He wants.


First Published: March 17, 2008
Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Reviewed by Marts Valenzuela on April 22, 2020 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.